MCT Oil: What Is It & Why Should You Care?
Medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil has become a popular health supplement in more recent years especially among athletes and bodybuilders.
But you don’t have to be a regular gym-goer, or powerlifter, to reap the benefits of this natural remedy.
Whether you’re 32 or 72, MCT oil may be a worthwhile addition to your health regimen because of the numerous benefits it can provide.
What is MCT Oil?
MCT oil is composed of medium-chain fats which makes them more easily digestible compared to longer-chain fats like those found in fish or cow’s milk.
MCT oil can be found primarily in coconut oil, but it can also be found in certain foods like nuts, seeds, and palm oil.
Why is MCT Oil Beneficial?
MCT oil has gained popularity for a number of reasons, including numerous health benefits such as:
- Weight Management: recent studies have shown that MCT oil increases the amount of peptide YY and leptin—two important hormones that help us to feel full. One of the largest difficulties when trying to lose weight is overeating, which makes MCT oil an effective way to avoid overconsuming calories that may interfere with your goals(1)
- Great Energy Source: the body’s preferred source of energy is glucose, but there are a few problems with this. Unlike glucose, MCT oil can be broken down faster in the gut and it is the only source of energy that can be used directly by the brain which may help improve cognitive health and lead to more natural energy levels(2)
- Boost Exercise Results & Recovery: some research suggests that MCT oil can help decrease lactate levels in the body, especially during physical activity, which may help to boost stamina at the gym and reduce feelings of soreness or muscle fatigue(3)
- Manage Disease Symptoms: one of the greatest benefits of MCT oil is that it can be converted into ketones. Studies have indicated that ketones are important for the management of certain diseases including epilepsy and Alzheimer’s(4)
- Improve Digestive Health: MCT oil has powerful antimicrobial and antifungal properties which may lead to improved digestive health as MCT oil has been linked to decreases in harmful bacteria growth(5)
- Strengthen Heart Health: one of the most important risk factors for heart-related disease and one of the numbers to monitor closely when it comes to heart health is cholesterol. Recent research has linked MCT oil to lower cholesterol levels(6)
- Stabilize Blood Sugar Levels: some studies have suggested that MCT oil can play a helpful role in regulating blood sugar levels and improving insulin sensitivity(7)
What are the Drawbacks of MCT Oil?
While MCT oil has been linked to many health benefits, it is always important to consider the disadvantages such as:
- Increasing Hunger: although MCT oil can release hormones that help us feel fuller, it can also lead to an increase in hunger-signaling hormones if taken in high quantities
- Fat Buildup: animal studies have suggested that high quantities of MCT oil may lead to fat buildup in the liver(8)
How Can I Take MCT Oil?
The best part about MCT Oil is that it is available in a variety of forms.
Many people incorporate liquid drops into their routine by adding it to their favorite beverage, or even using it in the meals they cook.
Recently, companies have started to develop MCT oil supplements that come in capsule, tablet, or gummy form.
Check out Pure Burn XS from KaraMD today as it contains a high-quality dose of MCT oil.
No matter what form of MCT oil you use, it is always best to consult your physician before adding any new products into your health regimen.
✝✝This noted statement is based on independent research and is not necessarily the opinion of the author